CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)

After much deliberation and hemming and hawing on my part, we have decided to move back to Michigan. I figured that it would be less stressful to not have to worry about rent & utilities while we get back on our feet. I wish we didn't have to move so far away from my family, especially Diana, and Ben certainly isn't crazy about moving back in with his parents (it has to be his versus mine since my folks won't take in Jack), but I'm really excited about being near old friends again.

Other things I love about Michigan:
- 10 cents on bottle returns (you get nothing in Illinois)
- general familiarity with the area
- Greenfield Village (Ben has never been there, and I have soooo many wonderful childhood - memories from their Discovery Camp day camp)
- closer proximity to Cedar Point
- 70 mph speed limits on the highway!
- more than one store chain that sells Faygo soda (honestly, I'd be lost without their orange soda)
- being a hop skip and a jump from Windsor (and Patrick O'Ryan's bar)
- being able to watch Pistons, Red Wings, and U of M football games without fail
- not too far from Chicago so we can still make weekend visits
- finally making it to a Tigers game at Comerica
- good snowboarding prospects

Yes, I am fully aware of Michigan's economic state, but let me assure you, the Chicago suburbs are not faring much better...at least as far as I can tell from my searches on careerbuilder.com and monster.com
I of course won't be ruling out a return to the Land of Lincoln if an employment opportunity presents itself. But I'll be hanging in Troy for the time being.

4 comments:

JenBun said...

I've only been to Michigan once, but I thought it was fun and very beautiful, in a way that is completely different from anything out here on the West coast. It might have been the fact that there was snow on the ground and that just doesn't happen in Southern California! :)

Frank said...

We all know you're terrible at snowboarding.

Veronica said...

yes, but this way I get to be experienced at being terrible.

Mandy said...

Michigan! LOL. The only thing I know about michigan is the cool trick people from Michigan do with their hands (because it looks like a mitten or something) to show where they live in the state. And of course being from OH(IO) and an OSU fan, I know all the words to the song "We Don't Give a Damn about the whole state of Michigan" but dont worry, I only sing it during football season and I sing it very badly...lol. :-)