CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Sound of Settling

Dearest blogbuds,

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. For as much as I'd like to attribute my absence to landing a job, alas, this is not so. But I have been applying like mad, so it's only a matter of time...right??


I am back in Michigan on a semi-permanent basis (excluding a visit to family this weekend, and of course I would move back to Illinois if I got hired there!) with my parents. I have not spent considerable time here since before graduating high school - I spent my college summers working at a Boy Scout camp about 50 miles north - and it is a somewhat surreal experience. I keep expecting to see familiar faces in the area, though in fact most of my graduating class has left for greener pastures.

This morning my dad and I went for a walk around town. It was quite pleasant (though not nearly as much as yesterday's walk, since it was much more humid today). Part of our wanderings included a stroll down a bike path that follows a creek running through town. I remember wading in it with Frank and Spenser, picking up freshwater clams and prising them open to look for pearls (I did, once, find two pearl-ish growths embedded in the inner wall of a shell), nervously chasing crayfish, and watching the seemingly overnight influx of Japanese water snails, which we took home and put in a fish tank. We saw a great blue heron on both days of our walk, watching us imperviously from the middle of the creek. Though I admit, ever since I saw these pictures (first 3), I've been somewhat creeped out by them.


I promise to make more regular appearances, though as I mentioned before, I'll be travelling for most of the weekend, leaving tomorrow, so if nothing else, expect a long update Monday or Tuesday! I also promise to get to Rachel's meme, and I'll be spending some time catching up on everyone's blogs. Thanks for waiting! =)

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Glad that you're back! Have a wonderful weekend!

Jidai said...

Welcome back, hope your job hunting bears fruits of monies.

Andy said...

Welcome back and have a GREAT weekend. And I also hope your job applications turn into jobs!

JenBun said...

I already don't like birds, so I'm not clicking on that link...

You're well worth waiting for!! :)

Have fun this weekend!

Bayjb said...

Hey there welcome back! Yes Rachel's post about how she drove you to your parents was pretty funny. Hope to read more from you soon and hopefully see you in Chicago again! With cupcakes!

Frank said...

The funny thing about poking around in the creek was that dad was the first one to suggest it.

He's such a little boy inside.